Santa Clarita Community Centers Offer Variety of Programs to Help Residents Get and Stay Fit in the New Year
In celebration of the New Year, the City of Santa Clarita’s Newhall and Canyon Country Community Centers will launch several classes to help residents achieve their fitness goals. Community Members of all ages can mix up their fitness routine at an affordable price* with the following programs available at the City’s Community Centers:
Canyon Country Community Center (18792 Flying Tiger Drive)
For more information, or to register for the following programs, visit Santa-Clarita.com/CCCC or call 661-284-1480.
- CCCC Striders (Adults) – From 9:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. on Mondays and Wednesdays beginning January 5, 2015 – Staff will lead a moderate to fast-paced walk on differing routes.
- Dance It Out! (Adults) – From 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. on Wednesdays beginning on January 14, 2015 – This beginner-friendly, follow-the-leader cardio dance class blends a variety of dance styles from Broadway to Bollywood to hip hop and funk.
- POUND Rockout Workout (Adults) – From 5:45 p.m. to 6:45 p.m. on Mondays and/or Thursdays beginning on January 12, 2015 – Participants can experience a full body cardio jam session, combining light resistance with constant simulated drumming.
- SMART ProTrainer Circuit (Adults) – From 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. on Tuesdays beginning on January 6, 2015 – This class combines strength training, explosive plyometric, and speed training, while using the SMART ProTrainer interactive wall. Each exercise option will have modifications for various fitness levels.
Newhall Community Center Fitness (22421 Market Street)
For more information, or to register for the following programs, visit Santa-Clarita.com/NCC or call 661-286-4006.
- Boxing Fitness (Adults) – From 7:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays beginning January 13, 2015 – This class teaches fundamental boxing techniques to improve overall fitness while burning calories.
- Boxing Introduction – For adults from 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. and for youth from 4:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays beginning January 13, 2015 – Learn the basics of boxing mechanics, including skill and technique development, circuit training and drills. Participants must provide their own equipment.
- Dance Workout – For adults from 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. and for youth from 5:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. on Thursdays beginning January 15, 2015 – This class is all about having fun while dancing and burning calories to some great tunes!
- Pilates (Adults) – From 9:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. on Tuesdays and Fridays beginning on January 13, 2015 – Learn Pilates, which emphasizes the balanced development of the body through core strength, flexibility and awareness.
- Yoga with Jackie (Adults) – From 9:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. on Thursdays beginning on January 15, 2015 – Jackie teaches basic yoga poses and flows to stretch and strengthen the major muscles of the body, while increasing flexibility.
- Zumba Gold Winter 2015 (Adults) – From 9:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. on Thursdays beginning January 15, 2015 – Older adults can enjoy a modified Zumba ® class with the original moves at a lower-intensity.
- Zumba Sculpt & Stretch (Adults) – From 9:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. on Mondays and Wednesdays, beginning on January 12, 2015 – This class incorporates cardio, strength and flexibility taught by a bilingual Spanish-speaking instructor.
*A $5 surcharge may be applied to classes for non-residents of the City of Santa Clarita.