City Commemorates One Year Anniversary with Free Festivities All Week Long
Community members are invited to celebrate the first birthday of the Santa Clarita Public Library in a big way with the City of Santa Clarita! Beginning on Monday, July 9, and continuing through Saturday, July 14, 2012, all three branches will offer free, fun festivities, including: storytimes, a cake walk and other fun activities for readers of all ages.
“The one year anniversary of the Santa Clarita Public Library is a big milestone for our community. In addition to reducing the annual library fee for property owners, we have successfully increased services and programming,” said Mayor Frank Ferry. “We are pleased with all that’s been accomplished in one year and thankful for our residents who have visited a branch, checked out materials, attended a program, volunteered, and provided valuable feedback to enhance the Santa Clarita Public Library experience.”
In just one year, the Santa Clarita Public Library has issued approximately 53,000 library cards, seen attendance of more than 700,000, and has offered 773 programs attended by more than 25,300 patrons.
To celebrate the one year anniversary of the Santa Clarita Public Library, the following special events and programming will be offered at all City libraries, including: Canyon Country, Newhall and Valencia.
- Monday, July 9, from 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.: Community members will help create a huge paper birthday cake and candles.
- Tuesday, July 10, from 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.: Each branch will feature a special performer and storyteller.
- Wednesday, July 11, from 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.: Each branch will host a “library-style” cake walk with free books provided to the winners.
- Thursday, July 12, from 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.: Create custom party hats in preparation for the big celebration on Saturday.
- Friday, July 13, from 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.: Enjoy birthday bingo with special prizes for the winners.
- Saturday, July 14, from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.: Community members are invited to stop by any branch and enjoy free birthday cake and lemonade. Mayor Pro Tem Bob Kellar will join community members at the Canyon Country Library birthday celebration while Councilmember McLean will be at the Valencia library.
In addition to its one year anniversary festivities, the Santa Clarita Public Library is gearing up for the opening of the new 30,000 square foot Old Town Newhall Library at 10:30 a.m. on Saturday, September 29, 2012. Opening day will include a grand opening ceremony with the City Council and a literary-inspired street fair in Old Town Newhall.
For more information about the Santa Clarita Public Library’s birthday celebration events and festivities, please contact Library Project Manager Robin Hoklotubbe at (661) 259-8944, or visit santaclaritalibrary.com.