For the latest on the coronavirus pandemic and which City amenities are open, please visit

Can I show up at City Hall and get married without an appointment?

Marriage ceremonies are performed by appointment on Wednesdays 11 a.m. – 4 p.m. You can schedule your civil ceremony provided you have obtained your marriage license.  If you have already obtained your marriage license, please fill out the Civil Marriage Ceremony Registration form on the City of Santa Clarita’s website, in person, or call City Clerk staff, (661) 259-2489 to schedule a ceremony date and time.

Where can I get a marriage license? 

The City of Santa Clarita offers confidential marriage licenses at the cost of $85 plus a $30 notary fee. A Confidential Marriage License is valid for 90 days and must be used in the county where it is issued. You can apply in person at Santa Clarita City Hall, 23920 Valencia Boulevard, Suite 120, or online on the City’s website.  You may also call City Clerk staff for assistance (661) 259-2489.

To purchase a confidential marriage license you must be at least 18 years old and be living together as a couple.  No witness is required at the ceremony with a confidential marriage license. The marriage record is confidential and only available to the couple.  The confidential license is filed and maintained by the Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk’s Office.

You can also apply for a public or confidential marriage license through Los Angeles County Registrar Recorder/County Clerk’s Office in person or online

Do both of us need to be present when applying for a marriage license?

Both parties need to be present to provide government-issue picture identification. Photo and age verification is mandatory.  Please visit the LA County Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk site for eligibility requirements.

Do I have to be a US citizen to have a civil ceremony?

There is no residency or citizenship status requirement, but your marriage license must be one that has been issued within the State of California.

Do I need to bring a witness?

Confidential marriage licenses do not require a witness at the ceremony, and no witness signs the marriage license. 

Couples getting married with a public marriage license require a witness. The couple may provide a witness at the time of the ceremony or the City can provide one for a $20 fee.  A witness can be anyone over the age of 18 and possess a valid photo I.D.

Please refer to the LA County Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk for more information.

Can my pet be part of the wedding ceremony?

Pets are not allowed in City Hall, but registered service dogs are welcome.  

Should I come to City Hall dressed and ready for the ceremony, or get ready there?

Please come to your appointment at City Hall dressed and ready for the ceremony.  There are no dressing rooms available, only a public restroom.

Can I bring guests with me to the ceremony?

You are allowed up to four guests to attend your special day.  Witnesses are counted among the guest count. Carpooling is encouraged due to limited parking.