All City of Santa Clarita facilities are closed until April 19. All City Events are cancelled through April.
Please visit for information.

Versión en Español 

Why are Sidewalk Vendors allowed in the City of Santa Clarita?

In 2018, then Governor Brown signed SB 946, known as the Safe Sidewalk Vending Act which limited the City’s ability to regulate sidewalk vending to those only directly related to objective health, safety or welfare concerns. Prior to this state legislation, sidewalk vending was prohibited in the City of Santa Clarita.

In 2019, the City’s Sidewalk Vending program was implemented to comply with the new state law, and requires Sidewalk Vendors to obtain a permit from the City of Santa Clarita in order to operate.  

How is a Sidewalk Vendor defined?

A sidewalk vendor is a person who sells food or merchandise from a pushcart, stand, display, pedal-driven cart, wagon, showcase, rack or other non-motorized conveyance, or from one’s person, upon a public sidewalk or other pedestrian path.

Are there different types of Sidewalk Vendors?

The following definitions apply to sidewalk vending:

Roaming Sidewalk Vendor- a sidewalk vendor who moves from place to place and stops only to complete a transaction.

Stationary Sidewalk Vendor- a sidewalk vendor who vends from a fixed location.

What permits, and licenses do I need to operate as a sidewalk vendor?

The kind of permits and licenses you need depend on what you are vending. Below is a list of the most common permits and licenses:

City of Santa Clarita Sidewalk Vending Permit

Los Angeles County Business License

Los Angeles County health permit – food vendors only

California Seller’s Permit

Where can I conduct my sidewalk vending operations?

Sidewalk Vending can be conducted on sidewalks and pathways if your operations are compliant with all applicable local and county regulations.

Do I need to display my business license certificate?

Yes, your business license certificate, and County and City permits are required to be displayed at all times.

How much does it cost to obtain a City permit for sidewalk vending?

New and annual renewal applications: $170

Updates to applications: $85

Can I vend at a City park?

Vending in Parks is permitted, but stationary vendors may not vend in any City Parks subject to a signed, exclusive concessionaire’s agreement

Can I vend near a City event or contracted special event?

Sidewalk Vendors may not vend within three hundred (300) feet of a permitted event. Permitted events include certified farmer’s markets, swap meets, and any event that requires the temporary use of, or encroachment on, the sidewalk or other public area, including, but not limited to, an encroachment permit, special event permit, film permit, or temporary use permits.

For vendor opportunities during special events contact the City’s Arts and Events Office at (661) 250-3732

Can I leave my vending cart unattended?

No cart or accessory equipment of a sidewalk vendor may be chained or fastened to any pole, sign, tree, or other object in the public right-of-way or left unattended, unless as permitted by the City.

Where can I find more information on Sidewalk Vending?

You can access the City’s Santa Clarita Municipal Code, Chapter 11.37 for more information or call the Community Preservation Division at (661) 286-4076.