Use the City's Resident Service Center for non-emergency requests
The Streetlight Maintenance District (SMD) is responsible for overseeing the operations and maintenance of City-owned Streetlights. Streetlight maintenance services are funded through a blend of assessment revenue and property taxes generated by property owners within the District. The assessments are used for the maintenance, repair, and monitoring of the street lights. New development is required to annex into the Streetlight Maintenance District, as well as all new territories annexing into the City.
Who Performs the Repairs
In 2018, the City finalized plans to purchase the Streetlight System from Southern California Edison. In February of 2019, Edison began transferring ownership of system to the City over the course of four phases. The City of Santa Clarita is responsible for the maintenance and repairs of street lights throughout Santa Clarita including along residential streets, major thoroughfares, within intersection commonly known as Highway Safety Lights (HSLs), and bridge lighting.
Residents may report streetlight knockdowns directly to the City via our 24-hour Call Center at (800) 509-9358. Streetlight outages may also be reported to the 24-hour Call Center or via the City’s Resident Service Center.
When utilizing the City’s Call Center or Resident Service Center, please be prepared to provide the following:
• Exact location - It is recommended that two addresses be given, e.g., the light is between first address and second address.
• Cross street - Provide one of the closest cross streets.
• The problem - The light is always off, the light cycles on and off, the light is on during daytime hours
• Your contact information - This is helpful if our City staff has questions or wants to provide you with status information, in the event of a delay
• Pole tag number - Each pole should have a metal plate with a number imprinted on it. The tag is located facing the street, at or just above eye level
• Lights located outside of the City limits, or on private roads (developments in gated communities) are not included in the City’s Streetlight Maintenance District, however staff will make every effort to report outage information to Edison
For additional information or to request a streetlight Shield, please contact the City’s Special Districts Office at (661) 290-2200.