A new and larger community center is coming to Canyon Country! The existing community center in Canyon Country is located on Flying Tiger Drive at Sierra Highway. This small but mighty site was intended to be a temporary location until a permanent and larger facility could be built for the surrounding community. Work is underway to prepare the site for the new Community Center.
Community Centers in Santa Clarita
The City of Santa Clarita currently has two community centers located in Old Town Newhall and the temporary location in Canyon Country. These centers serve residents of all ages every week, offering a variety of specialty programs for youth, active adults, parents, seniors, organized sports and community events. To learn more about the existing centers and the programs they offer, please click here.
The Future Canyon Country Community Center Location
The new Center will be built on a city-owned eight-acre site located on the northeast corner of Soledad Canyon Road and Sierra Highway in Canyon Country.
Creating with the Community Needs in Mind
A community engagement process took place from 2014 through 2016, which included several public meetings to identify and prioritize the type of services and amenities desired by the community for inclusion as part of the future Canyon Country Community Center.
The first community engagement process took place in 2014 which focused on the desired facility and programming elements to be included in the Community Center. The second process, held in 2015 and 2016, addressed the communities’ interest for amenities to the overall site. Based on your feedback, the future Canyon Country Community Center design includes the following:
- computer technology
- arts and crafts
- community and fitness rooms
- open turf play area
- flexible outdoor spaces for events
- play area, walkways and landscaping
- demonstration kitchen (to be used for teaching)
- Phase I - Includes improvements to the Mint Canyon Channel, storm drains, infiltration system and rough grading the site.
- Phase II - Includes the construction of the community center building, parking, walkways, plaza/courtyards, play area and other site improvements.
- Phase III - Includes off-site street improvements on Soledad Canyon Road, Sierra Highway, Dolan Way and Solamint Road.
- The Santa Clarita City Council approved the Community Center concept plan on June 28, 2016.
- The City has completed the environmental clearance process and obtained all necessary permits.
- The ground breaking ceremony for Phase I of this project was held on March 15, 2019. Watch the ground breaking ceremony YouTube.
- Phase I construction work began in April 2019 and is projected to take approximately 10 months to complete.
- Phase II design is complete and the project is out to bid, with bids due to the City via PlanetBids by 11:00 a.m., on November 19, 2019.
- Phase III design is 90% complete.
- A public art piece titled “Communitree” was approved for the site. The “Communitree” is designed to be an iconic Gateway for the new community center. This unique colorful oak tree will symbolize the strength of the community. It will be installed on the corner of Soledad Canyon Road and Sierra Highway.
- Construction of Phase I is projected to be complete by early 2020.
- Phase II plans have been developed and the project is out to bid, with construction projected to begin early 2020.
- Phase III street improvements are projected to begin in summer 2020.
- Phases I, II and III are estimated to take approximately 24 months to complete.
In The News
- Press Release (8/22/18): Demolition of City-Owned Building to Make Way for Future Canyon Country Community Center Underway
- Press Release (3/15/18): Public Invited to Event as We Make Way for the New Canyon Country Community Center
- GALLERY: Demolition Event - Photo album on Flickr
The Canyon Country Community Center is included in the City’s Santa Clarita 2020 Plan and is part of the Building and Creating Community theme.