A new and larger community center is coming to Canyon Country! The existing community center in Canyon Country is located on Flying Tiger Drive at Sierra Highway. This small but mighty site was intended to be a temporary location until a permanent and larger facility could be built for the surrounding community. Work is underway to prepare the site for the new Community Center.
Community Centers in Santa Clarita
The City of Santa Clarita currently has two community centers located in Old Town Newhall and the temporary location in Canyon Country. These centers serve residents of all ages every week, offering a variety of low cost specialty programs for youth, active adults, parents, seniors, organized sports and community events. To learn more about the existing centers and the programs they offer, please click here.
The Future Canyon Country Community Center Location
The new Center will be built on a city-owned eight-acre site located on the northeast corner of Soledad Canyon Road and Sierra Highway in Canyon Country.
Creating with the Community Needs in Mind
Several public meetings have been held to gather community wants and needs. The first community engagement process focused on the desired programming elements to be included in the Community Center while the second process addressed the communities interest for amenities to the overall site. Based on your feedback, the site master plan currently includes the following:
- computer technology
- arts and crafts
- community and fitness rooms
- open turf play area
- flexible outdoor spaces for events
- play area, walkways and landscaping
- demonstration kitchen (to be used for teaching)
- The Santa Clarita City Council approved the Community Center concept plan on June 28, 2016.
- Completed the environmental review process
- Demolition is currently underway on all existing properties on the City-owned lot
- Complete construction document
- Complete facility design and award construction
- Start construction (tentative: spring 2019)
Our goal is to have the new Community Center open by 2020.
In The News
- Press Release (8/22/18): Demolition of City-Owned Building to Make Way for Future Canyon Country Community Center Underway
- Press Release (3/15/18): Public Invited to Event as We Make Way for the New Canyon Country Community Center
- GALLERY: Demolition Event - Photo album on Flickr
The Canyon Country Community Center is included in the City’s Santa Clarita 2020 Plan and is part of the Building and Creating Community theme.